Monday, July 14, 2008

Beating the Heat


So, now that summer is finally here and we are enjoying temperatures in the 90's and 100's, the electrical company decides it must be time to "do some work in the area" which requires them to turn off our power for a mere 9 hours! (or so the notice on the door said this last week) Now you might think the thought of no A/C all day was truly the most devestating thought, but I must say, coming in a close second at least was the realization that there would be no Disney Channel or DVD player to keep the 3 year old occupied so that I could sleep in!!! The power was to go off at 8 a.m. on Friday. So, I prepped the kids really well Thursday night explaining how there would be no TV, video games, or computer on Friday. I told them they would have to wake up and actually play with the boatload of toys that litter our toy room in the basement. I also went over how they could not get into the fridge or freezer unless I was present (they tend to try to air condition the house with that appliance--anyone else have that problem?). Well, as I was trying to sleep in (not always possible with Eric), I kept waiting for my nice cool ceiling fan to suddenly stop. But, low and behold, it kept going. The kids actually played with toys and games, and I did get a little bit of extra sleep in between Eric tattling on everyone or informing me that he needed to go to the potty. Why do kids have to announce that? Anyway....we had made plans to go to the pool as soon as it opened at noon and spend the afternoon, trying to stay cool while the power was supposedly out. By the time we left, the power was still going strong. It went out shortly before we returned when I realized that my keys to the house were in my other purse, locked up tightly inside of the house. With no power, no electric garage door. We were so close to being stranded outside in our swimwear for the everning, but shockingly, I had neglected to lock the back door preventing the breaking and entry plan I was about to put into action! All in all, an interesting day. Here are some photos from our pool excursion.

Eric hangin' with his friend Tysen.


Justin with his good buddy Brett.


Tyler and Jordan are trying out the new snorkling gear.

Making a splash at the fountain.

4 comments:

Kimmy said...

That was so fun...other than waking up before the crack of noon to get the cars out of the garage before the power supposedly turned off.

kris said...

cute little family...looking forward to seeing you guys next week!

Jones Family said...

Your blog is so cute!
Our family did not enjoy the power being out either. We decided driving in an airconditioned car was worth the price of gas. :)

Sarah said...

I just found the link to your blog off of the Hamblins's...your blog is so cute!