Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Why?...Why?...WHY?!!

I'd forgotten how annoying, and yet utterly amusing, the 3 year old "Why?" syndrome can be! They suck you in slowly with innocent little questions like, "Why are you doing that?" Then they move to slightly less subtle questioning tactics like asking, "Mom, why are we stopped?" every time you are at a stop sign or a red light when you know darn well you just answered that questions 3 blocks ago, today, yesterday, and the day before that! That continues for a while until they finally reach the level of total abandonment when every word out of their mouth is "why?...why?...WHY?!!" It doesn't seem to matter how thoroughly you think you've answered their 1st or their 10th "why?" because the annoying and amazing thing is that they can ALWAYS still ask you "Why?" It's a game that can go on forever!! It's only slightly less annoying than the catchy tune This is the Song That Never Ends--an all time favorite of all 9 of my 5th and 6th grade classes, especially when sung (or yelled) at the top of their lungs on a field trip bus all the way from Ogden to Salt Lake! That is a scenario I have experienced way too many times!! But...back to the 3 year olds...it has been almost 5 years since I have had to endure this endearing little phase with any of my kids, so I really had to laugh today as I realized Eric has now successfully moved into phase three, the perpetual "Why?" I'm sure by next week, I will have moved past the laughing stage into the groaning stage myself! His only saving grace ( and the same reason Tyler survived to see his 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and even 6th birthdays) is that he is just so dang cute!

It's hard to stay mad at this face (the optimum word being "stay"!) So, for now I am laughing and reminding myself that this is the last one to do this to me, that is until they all start producing adorable grandchildren, which my mother assures me are impossible to get mad at at all!

4 comments:

alisha said...

oh i feel your pain with the "why" we are right there with you! now, i just try to pretend i don't hear him, or change the subject! it's mean i know...it's all about survival right?

Anonymous said...

So cute!!! Love that pic of him...he can come as us "why" for awhile..."Uncle" Bob and "Uncle" Dawne are always happy to oblige!

Anonymous said...

Just re-read my comment and found a fabulous typo - I meant to say he can come ASK us "why"...that'll teach me to type slower and read first!

DeAnna Dahl Kemple said...

Boy's are so much fun!If you have as much fun with your four boy's as we are still having you are in for the time of your life.Eric is a special one that is for sure!!