Thursday, October 30, 2008

A Weekend of Firsts...

Now, nobody faint or anything--especially those of you who know me well and have heard me say many times that this is something I would never do--but I started the "weekend of firsts" off with a little homemaking session. I canned carrots that we grew in our garden!!! I know. Shock and amazement are written all over your face! For those of you not so familiar with my background, here is the long version. I am a California girl. My parents had the brilliant idea one summer to rent space at a farm to grow a garden. Ugh!!! I hated going there every Saturday to weed and take care of it! I hate ANY kind of yard work, especially weeding! So, I really had no desire to have a garden of my own someday. Needless to say, I am still not a great gardener! My kids and husband do most of the work! But, nevertheless, I did have a small part in growing and harvesting these carrots. As for canning....I always swore that I would never do anything so "molly" as canning food! Yuck! I grew up on fresh fruits and vegetables which makes me kind of a produce snob I guess because I really hate canned items. But the bigger reason behind never wanting to can is I'm basically a lazy person, and it just seems like so much work! Well, last week, a good friend of mine mentioned she needed to can her carrots. When I mentioned that Jordan had just pulled up a whole bowl full of carrots out of our garden, she invited me over to can with her. Now that is my idea of canning! Going to someone else's house, making a mess in their kitchen, using their equipment, being told exactly how to do it, and then leaving before the cans actually cool down! Wow! Canning for dummies (lazy ones to boot!) So, long story short, I did something I said I'd never do; they actually turned out; and I am very proud! =)
So the weekend continued with doing new things....A few of my friends invited me to join them at Witch's Night Out at Gardner Village. I've lived here for several years and have never gone. For those of you who don't know what it is or live nearby and haven't gone, it is basically a huge GNO around Halloween when every girl (all ages) dresses up like a witch and heads to Gardner Village for shopping, eating, dancing, and hanging out with all your friends. It was a ton of fun! Here is a shot of the craziness and a couple others of my friends and I in our finest witch's costumes! Great time, girls. Thanks for inviting me!







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very impressive carrots! I, also, am one who has never felt the canning spirit! I suppose I should, though. Witches Night Out looks like fun, glad you had a good time.

DeAnna Dahl Kemple said...

WOW!! You don't look very molly Mormon in that witch outfit.I am sure the boys will love eating the carrots out of the garden.