Sunday, January 18, 2009

Reality Check

Happy Birthday to me! As I continue to get older, I am not sure how I feel about that. Paul summed it up this way--every birthday is just another year closer to death. Exactly why do we celebrate that? This, of course, was after I asked him what he wanted to do for his birthday this year since it is going to be one of those new decade birthdays which always seems like more of a big deal to me! Anyway....here is the reality check that actually cracks me up, even though it confirms that I am no longer as young and hip as I constantly try to think that I am. Last night as we were walking out to the parking lot of the temple, there was a younger couple talking behind us. The girl was going on and on about wanting to go back to Europe. She was telling her husband that she wanted to go soon, not when she was 40 or something, so he was just going to have to figure it out. Then as a final blow, she said, "I'm not waiting until I'm OLD to travel again!" ......And there you have it. Straight from the mouth of babes (and they never lie)--40 is "old"! Now, I'm not quite "old" yet, but I will be fairly soon. Wow. I don't know how this has happened. It seems like just yesterday I was as loud and obnoxious as she is. Okay, I know what my dear friends are thinking...I'm still as loud and obnoxious as she is, but now I can add old the that list! Happy birthday to me!

6 comments:

Sweet Pea and James said...

Happy Birthday, Rebecca! I hope that you have a wonderful day...You're not old! =)

Kimmy said...

oh the replies that are swirling around my head! It probably saved that girl's life that you were walking out of the temple...otherwise she would have had the wrath of a soon-to-be-40 "oh yes I CAN travel still" retort...complete with finger snap!
happy birthday! Those young whippersnappers don't even know waht they have in store for them...hahaha!!!

Los Smith said...

Feliz cumpleanos my young friend! remember age its just a state of mind, so 40 its just a number! enjoy and wishing you many many more

Anonymous said...

Loud maybe, but not obnoxious! You make me laugh! I have to admit, when I was one of those young ones, I guess I thought 40 was old, too, but the closer we all creep towards it, it doesn't seem old at all! Hope your birthday has been a good day!

DeAnna Dahl Kemple said...

I can tell you right now you will never be old!!Hope you had a great birthday and will still be celebrating for a few days longer.

Amber said...

Put in a line up (and away from your teenagers) no one would ever guess you were even near 40. In my wildest dreams I could only hope to look as good as you when that dreaded day comes my way.