Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Frustration!

So, I thought I'd be a good mom and register Justin for EFY this summer. He and his cousin have been planning on going together as soon as both of them were old enough. Two weeks ago was the early registration period. You could get online and request sessions any time during the week and then they would do a random selection process to place all the applicants. So, I waited patiently for 2 hours to get onto the registration page. I filled it all out and linked him to his cousin. When I hit the final processing button, I, of course, get an error page and it boots me out. So later in the day, I again patiently wait my turn "in line" to REQUEST sessions--not even actually register him! 2 hours later I finally get on and the process does go through. Then I had to wait 2 weeks to see if his request had been filled for one of the sessions we wanted. Unfortunately, his request was denied!!!!! The e-mail actually says they are able to place 90% of their applicants in one of their requested sessions. Apparently we are just in the losing 10%. So, starting today, all of the rejects get a "2nd chance" to sign up for any available spots. When I got on today, of course, there are no spots available at the school we wanted--unless he wanted to miss the last week of 8th grade to attend. So basically 5 hours of my life have been wasted, and there wasn't a darn thing I could have done differently. It's the luck of the draw. I'm not sure how I feel about the random selection. On the one hand, it does seem to be a fair way to do it. On the other, I'm sure I absolutely sent in my "request" before others who are now securely registered for the spot we wanted! Ugh!! I am totally frustrated! On top of that, next week I get the joy of trying all over again to get him into a local session. This time I'm sure is just first come, first served. Wish me luck!!!

4 comments:

DeAnna Dahl Kemple said...

I can only say for sure that it will be worth all you trouble. Oh for the good old days it was not so hard to get our kids in. Justin is lucky to have such a devoted Mom!!

The Mom said...

Well for the record, I have connections you know. I mean I
WAS once a counselor for EFY one summer and happen to know that bribery is always the best policy. (Batting my eyes always helped but they can't see that over the computer)

alisha said...

yeah, i feel your pain! i think we got too cocky. afterall, almost everyone i know in the past has got in. how's it feel to be part of the 10% club? we'll figure something out....

Bethany said...

I remember doing that, mailing in our info for a chance at a week in the summer at BYU (didn't live in UT) we would color our envelopes all fancy and cool so they would be noticed even. Good Luck, hope it works out for you!