Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Happy St. Patrick's Day

So I'm a little slow posting this, but just in case you were needing a laugh for the day, here it is. I realized last Tuesday morning after sending all the kids off to school that I would seriously be a final contestant in the "Loser Mother of the Year" contest. Yes, it is true. I sent all three of my kids off to school without any green on them! Being a former elementary school teacher, I knew how traumatic this could be. I could just envision my kids coming home telling me tragic stories of relentless pinching throughout the day.

After school as we were in the car going to the dentist, I asked the boys how their day was and apologized for not reminding them it was St. Patrick's Day. I asked if they got pinched a lot. Tyler began to tell me his tales of woe--poor baby! Third graders can be obnoxious about that, but 5th graders can be downright mean, so I was curious to hear Jordan's story. When I asked him, he said he did get pinched a few times until he started showing everyone the green on his pants. I was a little confused as I knew he was wearing jeans, and they weren't green. I kept asking him what he meant. He was pointing to his pant leg and repeating that he had green on his pants. Up in the front seat, I couldn't really see what he was pointing to. When I became completely frustrated and pointed out that there was no green on his pants and I didn't understand what he was talking about, he replied,

"Yes, there is! Can't you see the grass stains?!!!"

Sure enough, after Paul and I wiped the tears out of our eyes from laughing so hard, we were indeed able to see several large deep green stains on his pants! I bet he did that on purpose at recess! So there you have it--I get the loser mom award, and my son gets the most creative problem solving award!

5 comments:

Amanda said...

See, that is just another one of those holidays that falls under the "fake holiday" catagory. It's just a marketing scheme to get people to spend money. But you already know how I feel about that...

Kimmy said...

you are right, after seeing the sea of green everywhere I looked at the school, I will never send my child again without being fully dressed the part!

DeAnna Dahl Kemple said...

I think that you would win Mother of the years for sure!! Any one that has boys as good as yours. Who cares about green unless you are Irish.Eric was fun to have over and so good!!

Anonymous said...

Hey, How is your family doing?

The Mom said...

I haven't blogged for a whole week and I feel so out of touch. Rebecca, don't feel so bad about the green thing. I had the flu the morning of St. Pat's day and I too sent my children to school with pink and blue on. (I blame it on the illness) Whitney was saved with green eyes but Carson -oh poor Carson. Blue eyes don't help. He came home pinched pink. His teacher finally had to give him a green sticker just so he would'nt endure any more pain!