Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas Eve Traditions

"The children are nestled all snug in their beds, while visions of sugar plums dance in their heads...." or something like that! As I sit here waiting for them to fall asleep so that Santa can come, I thought I would update the blog with some family traditions we have for Christmas Eve. We started the day off by baking sugar cookies. It just isn't Christmas without our decorated sugar cookies! I hate making them, but I love eating them!

After cleaning up and having some lunch, we headed off for another family favorite on Christmas Eve--the movies. Today we saw Madagascar 2. It was really a fun movie. This tradition started when I was very young. We were so obnoxious and roudy on Christmas Eve that my mom sent my sister and brothers to a movie to give us something to do for 2 hours and get us out of her hair for 2 hours of peace and quiet! As we grew up (I think we became less obnoxious), and it turned into a whole family tradition. Now we do it with our kids. We usually pick up some pizzas on the way home for dinner, finish up any last minute wrapping, and watch some Christmas specials. The boys then get to open one gift (always the same every year)--new pj's that I make from the dollar flannel at walmart! Easy to do, and it's a fun tradition. My grandma used to make us elaborate nightgowns when we were young. Good thing I only have boys! I'm only good with straight seems and simple patterns!
The night ends with magic Christmas cocoa (works like a charm to help the little ones sleep--and no, it's not spiked!) and their magic Christmas pillow cases sewn by Aunt Susan, guaranteed to help them fall asleep and sleep all night!
What are some of your favorite family traditions?
Here's wishing you all a very merry Christmas, from our family to yours!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your traditions, especially the jammies and Magic Cocoa! Sure wish I'd known about Magic Cocoa when Brett was smaller! Back then, we always left cookies and milk for Santa. As Brett was going to bed this year, Bob asked if he wanted to leave some cookies for Santa and Brett said, (after giving a pretty good eye roll), "Tell him there's the kitchen and he can have whatever he wants!". Leave it to the 14 yr old! Being a small family, we don't have a lot of traditions, but we do always turn on the Christmas tree lights and read the story of Christ's birth in the Bible. Then we usually watch a movie or play games together.

Kimmy said...

I love the pictures! AND, I'm not so sure that I believe you about the magic cocoa not being spiked!!!! By the way, I am TOTALLY impressed with how domestic you are, baking and sewing. All in the same week, too! Merry Christmas!!!!

DeAnna Dahl Kemple said...

Glad to hear that you had a great Christmas. It is a wonderful family time and especially to be together.All the cookie and candy making we now leave to the younger ones. Richard and I live a little more slower life now we have no children at home but do we ever have those memories of long nights putting thing together.We used to drink a lot of Pepsi's and stay up late helping Santa.