Thursday, February 26, 2009

Valentine's Day

This year, Paul and I decided to go out for Valentine's Day a day early and avoid some of the crazy crowds. We decided to spend Saturday with the kids doing family things. We started the day off bright and early (way too early for me!) with Tyler's final Junior Jazz basketball game at 8 a.m. (Who schedules games at 8 a.m. on a Saturday?!) Anyway, it was a great game. Tyler has learned so much this season and improved a ton! In fact, the other day he was outside playing with Justin, and Justin came in all winded and going on and on about how much Tyler had improved and how he was out there telling Justin and Jordan all the rules they were breaking. It was pretty funny! Tyler had a great coach! There were a few kids on his team that he knew from school, so that made it fun. They played 8 games and only lost 2--I think it was their first two games. After that they were on fire, often hitting the mercy rule of 20 points more than the other team when the scorekeepers just flip the white cards over the scores. For once, I had a kid on the team you always hate to play against! It was pretty fun! He still has a lot to learn, and we definitely have to work on his running skills, but overall, it was a great experience for him.


For the next part of our family Valentine's Day activities, we took the boys to see the Draper Temple and go through the open house. It was pretty cold and snowy. We couldn't stand outside very long to get a clear picture or admire the beauty of the outside of the temple, but what a great experience to take our kids inside the temple and experience all the beauty inside and the quiet, peaceful spirit that resides there! I loved the opportunity to show them what going to the temple looks like, and more importantly, what it feels like. It was also another good opportunity to explain to them that what happens in the temple is not secret, but very sacred to us and encourage them when they are old enough to be able to go and experience it for themselves.



We ended our day with a family pizza and movie night. Good food, good show, good times!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with the awesome opportunity of sharing the temple open house with kids. It was so special and I'm glad you had a good time. A very neat Valentines Day for sure!

DeAnna Dahl Kemple said...

What a good experience to take the boys to see a Temple. Many years ago my Dad took me to the Los Angles Temple it was great I never for got it.

The Mom said...

What a neat day! Going to Temple open houses are experiences children never forget! I'll never forget when we took Whitney to the Rexburg Temple and all she kept saying outloud was "Look Mommy, a swimming pool!"

Angela, Grady and Boys said...

Why hello cute girl! I had no idea that you had a blog, but I'm way excited that you do! We all need to get together for a girls night, I feel like I haven't seen you in forever! Well, I thought for sure you'd be on the cruise with Loralie this week soaking in the sun. Do you guys have any fun trips planned? It really was hard to come home to all this snow, but I'm grateful we were at least able to get away from it for awhile!

It's been fun reading your blog and catching up on things. I can't believe how big all your boys are getting...and it really scares me to think that mine will get that big someday! I will definitely need your advice in the upcoming future...I think I'm destined to have all boys like you! :)

Well, I hope all is well...and we really need to all plan something when Loralie gets back. Oh, and if you're interested, Shandra is going to be on Good Things Utah this Friday...we have tickets if you want to get away and come with us! It should be fun to watch in person! Let me know!